Daniel 32 colombia newark single dating
Since then, the capital of Canada has remained Ottawa, Ontario.
Toronto became the capital of the province of Ontario after its official creation in 1867, the seat of government located at the Ontario Legislature located at Queen's Park.
This refers to the northern end of what is now Lake Simcoe, where the Huron had planted tree saplings to corral fish.
However, the word "Toronto", meaning "plenty" also appears in a French lexicon of the Huron language in 1632, A portage route from Lake Ontario to Lake Huron running through this point, the Toronto Carrying-Place Trail, led to widespread use of the name.
The Grand Trunk Railway and the Northern Railway of Canada joined in the building of the first Union Station in downtown.
The advent of the railway dramatically increased the numbers of immigrants arriving, commerce and industry, as had the Lake Ontario steamers and schooners entering port before.
Because of its provincial capital status, the city was also the location of Government House, the residence of the viceregal representative of the Crown in right of Ontario.
Toronto became the largest alcohol distillation (in particular, spirits) centre in North America; the Gooderham and Worts Distillery operations became the world's largest whiskey factory by the 1860s.During the American Revolutionary War, the region saw an influx of British settlers as United Empire Loyalists fled for the British-controlled lands north of Lake Ontario.The new province of Upper Canada was in the process of creation and needed a capital.In 1787, the British Lord Dorchester arranged for the Toronto Purchase with the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, thereby securing more than a quarter of a million acres (1000 km In 1793, Governor John Graves Simcoe established the town of York on the Toronto Purchase lands, instead naming it after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany.Simcoe decided to move the Upper Canada capital from Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) to York, The York garrison was constructed at the entrance of the town's natural harbour, sheltered by a long sandbar peninsula.